The Executive Committee of the Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure
The Executive Committee of the Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS) of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) is the permanent body of the SCO RATS based in Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan. Its main tasks and duties are as follows:
1. Maintaining working relations with competent institutions of the member states and international organisations tackling issues of fighting terrorism, separatism and extremism;
2. Assistance in interaction among the member states in preparation and staging of counter-terrorism exercises at the request of concerned member states, preparation and conduct of search operations and other activities in the field of fighting terrorism, separatism and extremism;
3. Joint drafting of international legal documents concerning the fight against terrorism, separatism and extremism;
4. Gathering and analysis of information coming to the RATS from the member states, formation and filling of RATS data bank;
5. Joint formation of a system of effective response to global challenges and threats;
6. Preparation and holding of scientific conferences and workshops, assistance in sharing experience in the field of fighting terrorism, separatism and extremism.
Director is the chief administrative officer of the RATS Executive Committee. The nominee, a citizen of an SCO member state, is appointed by the Council of Heads of State upon the recommendation of the RATS Council for a period of three years.
The Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure operates in accordance with the SCO Charter, the Shanghai Convention on Combating Terrorism, Separatism and Extremism, the Agreement among the SCO member states on the Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure, as well as documents and decisions adopted in the SCO framework.
Zhang Xinfeng was appointed Director of the SCO RATS Executive Committee on January 1, 2013.